Sunday, September 9, 2012

in the beginning....

Here I am today, wife and mom of one, currently unemployed and ready for a change. I thought that starting a blog would encourage me to stay committed to a diet change. I wanted to start by doing the 21 day sugar detox (while incorporating my transition into a paleo lifestyle) and then move on to what the heck I am doing with my life diet and weight wise.

I can tell you that I have been on many different diets- weightwatchers, slim fast, atkins, not eating... you name it I have probably tried it. I have found that low-carb works best for my body but I cannot stick to it long enough to kick my huge sugar addiction. Seriously, I am a sugar and carb addict. Weight has always been an issue for me. And I know saying that is weird. But even when I was in decent shape, I always thought I was a big girl. When I went to college, I definitely gained more than the usual freshman 15 and just keep gaining from there. I thought that a wedding would motivate me enough to lose weight- nope. Then when I became pregnant for the first time, I used that as an excuse to eat literally whatever I wanted. My highest weight when I was pregnant with my son was a huge 240. Not to mention I am only 5 feet tall. Yeah. Awesome. Since having my son I have been able to get some of the weight off but have landed not so comfortably at about 200 –give or take 5 pounds depending on the time of the month. So here I am.

I have researched a lot about different foods and diets and agriculture and government and sugar and body types and the biblical stand point to food…. Now it is time to put that into practice.

I love Jesus. I know he loves me and he made me- but he didn’t make me like this. There are greater plans for each of us and I believe that being healthy was his clear intention. In the beginning… when God first created people, he provided them with all the things they needed. Plants and animals. There was no corn syrup, no genetically modified foods, no mass wheat farms and no corn fed cows. The paleo diet is sometimes called the ‘caveman diet’ because you are eating like the hunters and gatherers way back when, but it is easier for me to grasp the truth in what God intended us to eat.
Sugar is a huge problem. Most people do not give it enough credit- or blame. Most people also don’t realize that breads, wheat, flours and simple starches like potatoes are processed in your body the exact same as sugar. These are called carbohydrates. There are many different types of them, some are good and some are very bad, but all should be eaten in moderation. If you say to the average American that you want to start eating healthy, what are some things that may be recommended to you? Low fat, low calorie, whole wheat foods, right? After doing research on my own, and with success on a low carb diet, it is just the opposite! (this may not apply to every person in the entire world, but those people could probably eat whatever the heck they wanted and still be fit) Diets in high saturated fats and low carbohydrate intake have been proven time and time again to be very effective in both weight loss and overall health- including cholesterol and diabetes. Though ‘eating healthy’ from the typical American point of view can include great things like fruits and veggies, it is still skewed. Paleo takes healthy eating to a whole new level. It incorporates all the healthy foods that were originally provided and intended for us to eat. Now, in the beginning of this fun new life long journey I am starting- I will limit fruits and sugars, even though paleo may use honey and a natural sweetener, I will not because I am starting with the 21 day sugar detox. 

I can promise you a few things through this journey. 1- There will be spelling errors, deal with it. 2- I won't be consistent in my posts because this my my first blog experience and I have no idea what I am doing. 3- You will learn about me and my struggles. 4- You will gain info into the paleo lifestyle.
Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment