Saturday, September 15, 2012

update and chicken salad : )


How am I doing? Pretty good I think! I am a little disappointed my skin doesn’t feel or look better yet, but there are still 15 days to go : ) I am not weighing myself because I really don’t care about a number, just how I feel about myself. Someday, I hope to post before and after pics of myself, but not now.

 I am now shopping a lot at the local healthy/organic foods store. I love it. I love seeing the variety of foods that are available. I love learning about new products. I do not love spending all my money there, some items are super expensive! I applied for a job though! And supposedly I would get 20% off my purchases!! Woohoo! I missed the famers market this morning. My next task then is to find where I can buy grass-fed meats and how much I will spend.

Foodwise, things have been going good. No ridiculous cravings- though around 3pm every day I get crazy for snacks. That is the usual time I would carb load. But now I have to decide if I am even hungry. If I am, then I grab veggies and if I am not, then I just drink water. That has been going well. Meals are pretty easy since I’ve been doing ‘low carb’ for such a long time, usually they are just meats and veggies and some fruit. I have been missing fruit still. Honey crisp apples are coming out and those are seriously to die for! Amazing! To help with other minor sweet cravings I bought cacao nibs : ) They are crisp and crunchy cacao bean pieces. They smell amazing and are a little bitter, but delicious! I did get some goji berries too! They are also on the approved foods 21 day list. In my opinion they taste a little licoricey. They are chewy but definitely sweet. And I guess you can add them to anything, teas, salads, muffins… you name it! So that is cool.

I finally purged all my old habit items. A friend graciously took them off my hands. All my white flour, refined sugar, organic cane sugar, whole wheat flour, oats and powdered sugar are no longer in the house. That felt good to get rid of that, knowing how terrible it really is for you- now I can’t even make something with it if I wanted. : ) My poor husband is worried he will never have homemade cookies again. I think he will be ok. I did buy coconut flour and made my mug cake a second time with it. It was very good. I’m sure later on in my life I will be able to make a chocolate chip cookie again following paleo rules, but not for a while if I want to lose any weight. I know for my body, just because honey, bananas and maple syrup are approved foods for the paleo life style, they are not good for me- they have too much sugar in them. I can’t just go and make a bunch of paleo cookies or cake and think that will get me where I want to be. Blah.

I’m not sure if there was anything else I wanted to say… I am looking forward to finishing the 15 days. I will probably come up with a new recipe in there. For now I will just leave you with the amazing chicken salad I had for lunch – sorry no pic, I ate it before I remembered to take a pic. (single serving size)

-1 small romaine lettuce head
-1/2 avocado sliced
-1 tablespoon fav dressing (I used parmesan peppercorn-very low sugar)
-1 chicken breast
-2 teaspoons chia seeds
-1 teaspoon coconut oil or other natural oil
-salt, pepper and seasoning (I used Sunny Paris and Fox Point from Penzeys- YUM)

First, to prepare the chicken, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium. Season one side of the chicken with salt and pepper, place seasoned side down in oil. Season the other side with salt and pepper. Let sit for about 6-7 minutes. Then flip. Let sit for 6-7 minutes. Season one side with other seasoning. Flip and let sit for 1 minute and season other side, flip and let sit for 1 minute. While that is going on, wash and tear the lettuce into a big bowl. Pour dressing over top, add avocado and sprinkle chia seeds around. After chicken is done, slice or cube and add to salad. YAY! : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment